Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Knock. Knock. Anyone there?

It's been so long since I've posted anything that I wonder if anyone will read this post. Guess we'll find out...

So my close friend, Jenn, moved to Tokyo last Wednesday.... it was a sad week. It's not often you meet girlfriends in your adult life that you connect with on all levels. The only comfort is knowing that they'll return to the U.S. in two or three years. This is an exciting time for her and her husband John (he left for Tokyo a few weeks ago) and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I mean, how many people do you know can say they lived in Japan?? I can't wait to hear of their adventures and look forward to visiting their new home in Tokyo. (By the way, Jenn and John are blogging at: http://anamericangirlintokyo.blogspot.com/) Hugs and best of luck to Jenn and John!

I have a lot of catching up to do, but first, the important stuff. :) I am entering Elvis into a Halloween costume contest and I need suggestions for his costume – sssshhh! Don’t tell Brent! :) The contest will be held at Doctors Healthcare Center Dallas Senior Source, where I volunteer through Junior League, and the residents of the facility will vote. I have a few ideas, but I’d love to hear yours!

We’ve been really busy the past two months… vacationed at the beach; moved to our new house; stayed in a hotel for a week; hosted a going-away party for friends; discovered Texas highways have enormous pot holes; drove a rental car for a week; celebrated Brent’s 35th birthday; spent a weekend at the lake with friends; attended a couple of kids' birthday parties… I think that sums it up.

The Beach

Claire’s first visit to the beach was a big hit. She loved the water and I enjoyed spending the week with her.




Moving Day
Leaving our first home together was bitter-sweet. We were sad to go, but excited about the new house.













Hyatt Place

Because our master bat
hroom was not quite finished, we had to move from our old house into a hotel. Talk about feeling unsettled! All of our belongings were at the new house and we were living out of suitcases in a hotel for a week.

Sayanora Jenn & John
The night of our big moving day, we helped host a going away party for Jenn and John before they left for Tokyo. I’ll admit it was probably not the best timing for us to host a party, but it turned out great and our friends were appreciative. Here's a picture of me and Jenn and also the hosts: Angie, myself and Stacy.











Pot hole on I-35

So the day we were to check out of the hotel and spend our first night in the new house, I had a little accident on the interstate... blew out both tires and cracked the rims on the passenger side of the car thanks to a huge pothole.












As a result, I had to drive a rental car for a week. Don’t be jealous! Ha. I’m so glad to have my car again… nothing makes you appreciate horse power like driving an economy class rental car.










The Birthday Boy

We celebrated Brent's 35th birthday. He's lucky to have landed such a young wife. haha :)



Break at the Lake

We spent a weekend at the lake with friends and celebrated Brent's birthday again, but with cake and candles this time! :) Sloane even baked him an apple pie that was delicious!








Hatcher’s 1st Birthday

Sloane and Preston's youngest turned one. He loved his cupcake with blue icing! Can you tell? :)







Evan & Owen

One of my friends from high school had twin boys and they are precious. They're now 12 weeks old. I cannot imagine having twins... just holding them at the same time was overwhelming!






In other news...
the house is still under construction. The kitchen is the key focus for now and the cabinets are looking great. I'm really happy we went with the maple. It's very challenging to answer some of their organizational questions considering I'm a novice cook, but I guess I'll learn from this one and make changes if needed on our next kitchen remodel (yeah right!). Brent doesn't offer much unless asked because he said the kitchen is all mine to decide... I hope that doesn't mean he expects me to put it to a lot of use! :) These photos were taken on Friday, August 29th.













The wall between the living room and kitchen was finally completed. There is a recessed area for the television and the cut-outs will hold the surround sound speakers.

hugs,
kk and db

3 comments:

JMHickerson said...

Goodness! See what happens when you don't post in months ;).
Looks like you have been really busy! Evan and Owen are soo cute I don't know how she does it and still looking good :). Also can't wait to see the new house when it's done!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am here........I love to hear from you. Keep those stories coming. Donna

Jennifer said...

You have been busy....can't wait to see the completed house project....I miss you!